Monday, March 22, 2010

Quick, a small piece of Thomas Bernhard!

autoportrait, Joseph Beuys
I have a few blog entries in the brewing pot. In the meantime can't help sharing the first paragraph of "Wittgenstein's Nephew" by Thomas Bernhard. Who would not want to read the rest of the book after this avant-taste?

"In 1967, one of the indefatigable nursing sisters in the Hermann Pavilion on the Baumgartrerhöhe placed on my bed a copy of my newly published book "Gargoyles", which I had written a year earlier at 60 rue de la Croix in Brussels, but I had not the strength to pick it up, having just come round from a general anesthesia lasting several hours, during which the doctors had cut open my neck and removed a fist-sized tumor from my thorax. As I recall, it was at the time of the Six-Day War, and after undergoing a strenuous course of cortisone treatment, I developed a moonlike face, just as the doctors had intended."

Brilliant. Bernhard takes every rule of literature and breaks it.

Contributed by - - Arabella Hutter

No comments:

Post a Comment