Friday, May 21, 2010

Walking down Houston St - miniblog

I was walking the 10 long blocks from 1st Ave to the FDR with my son Numen yesterday. He was going to his orientation at Bard High School. I was telling him: I don't know how I feel about my kids being more intelligent than I. It gets a bit tiring. What's intelligence anyway?
He was wary:
-  I'm not even going there.
-  No, seriously, how would you define intelligence? 
-  It's one of those things you can't define. Like friendship.
14 and so wise. I took up the challenge.
-  It's easy: friendship is when you like someone and they like you back.
-  And why do you like them?
-  I think they must fill some need you have. If you like to think, they'll be smart for good conversation. If you like to be pampered they'll be caring.
-  Oh so friendship is a kind of cure for you needs?
He was skeptical. I gave up on defining friendship, but it was good to chat on a beautiful spring day, New York thriving with life and excitement around us.

Contributed by  - -  Arabella Hutter

1 comment:

  1. "I'm not going there" LOL i love it! nice post arabella

    ReplyDelete