Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Breton native experiences French Indian creolization


Dominique Aupiais (seventh from left) and his band Renesens at the Théâtre de St-Gilles, Reunion

It's a joy and an honour to continue our conversation around Glissant and creolization. While getting to know unique individuals across the oceans, from one continent to the other. How more could this exchange be an illustration of Glissant's ideas? You will find below a message from Dominique Aupiais in response to Animesh Rai. As well as a biography where he describes his creolized life, as well as the great loss which has turned his life around.

In response to Animesh Rai, a message from Dominique Aupiais:
"I was thrilled to learn in your interview on Reunionnais du Monde that Edouard Glissant was your mentor as I share his ideas about the cultural and social practices of creolization. I hope, though in a somewhat humbler manner, that my own research will also bring about a better understanding of peoples' imaginary in all its diversity, in particular, that of the Celts which is particularly fertile, and resembles in this respect that of Indians. This particular creolization is shaped by the unique encounter of people that goes well beyond the notion of a simple cultural exchange. In spite of the distress caused by servitude and indenture in the Indian Ocean Islands and the hegemonist attitude of some of the French in India and Madagascar, deeply meaningful bonds were nevertheless created between very different civilizations. Their shared imaginary, fantasies, beliefs and cultural practices became factors of understanding, of mutual acknowledgment and of a common struggle against the rule of oppressors. Similarly, creolization today still represents an asset for social equilibrium and a model to be replicated. I thank you for spreading by your contribution the creole humanist values while at the same time preserving your Indian roots of which you can be proud as I am of my Breton roots."
Dominique Aupiais


The unique trajectory of Dominique Aupiais:
Born May 13, 1954 in a small Breton village, near St-Nazaire. Emigrated to Reunion Island in 1974. Marries a Reunion Islands native in 1976. Three sons. Various employment in agricultural development, then teacher until 1990. Settles as a farmer on a small multi crop/breeding farm as well as bed and breakfast in Ste Suzanne. Still my main activity.
Primarily an artist, I have written seven books published by the Editions du Grand Océan in Reunion Islands. The first one, "Between Creole and Breton, these roots which free us" is an ideological (regionalism) autobiography. The next ones are collections of poems, short stories, and philosophical activist writings. In 1998 I started a band, RENESENS, of Creole-Celtic music. You'll find many sites which refer to it on the Internet.
In 2005, my youngest son Damien (23) dies in a crash in a taxi in Madagascar, as we were going to the Nosy Bé Festival. The loss was devastating. My friend Professor Sudel Fuma, who holds the UNESCO chair for the Indian Ocean, invited me to go back to my studies and finish Damien's curriculum. He was working on his Master at the University of Reunion. I threw myself into that new challenge, getting my Master with honours in 2007. My thesis's title was "The propositions of political status for the French colonies by R.F. Francis Aupiais, from 1925 to 1945". It was published under the title "Reverend Father Francis Aupais, a Breton humanist in favor of the recognition of Africa". My great uncle was amongst the first anthropologists of sub Sahara Africa. While the importance of his films about voodoo ceremonies in Dahomey (now Benin) is significant, he also fought for the acknowledgment of African cultures in Europe. I am now working on a PhD in Reunion, again under the guidance of Professor Fuma.


Contributed by Dominique Aupiais, published by Arabella Hutter

No comments:

Post a Comment